Tuesday 20 April 2010

Mark making and Felting

Right it's been a while since I last posted, I've been crazy busy, but have got quite a bit done. I am posting some of my mark making and sketches as promised, and have also tried my hand at felting and embroidery.


Mark making representation of the eroded concrete:



Sketches of outside wall texture:

Pencil

Biro


Graphite


Embroidery and Felt making:

I begun experimentation by embroidering Hessian with DK in neutral colours. This is to represent the eroded concrete, as shown in the sketches. I didn't think it was particularly successful, so decided to experiment with felt making.

First I begun by just playing around with the process, I really wanted to see how I could make felt more textural, and less two-dimensional. I tried creating a layer of base felt, and adding pieces after. The pieces were very loose, and it didn't look great, so I tried to find other ways.





This was an experiment to see if texture could be created by adding objects underneath the top layer of felt. The bottom layer is purchased, half-felt. I added buttons, then created the felt pattern over the top. Although it is not visible, it did work, and the felt traps the buttons.



This is the most successful piece so far. I created this piece by placing buttons and thick yarn on top of the half felt, then creating a simple, neutral toned pattern over the top, to represent the eroded concrete. I then used various embroidery techniques to accentuate the buttons, and create a textured surface. The techniques I used include seeding, wheels, couching, French knots, and I also completely wrapped the buttons in yarn to imitate stones. I am really pleased with this piece and intend to continue experimenting with felt.


This is some of my work and experimentation for my "Can I Touch It?" project so far. I think my latest piece is the most fitting so far, as it most certainly makes you want to play with it, and see how all the different components feel.

I am going to do loom weaving tomorrow at college, and will try and create the most textural pieces I can. I will update as with the results as soon as possible, and hopefully it will give some inspiration! :D

Ciao for now! xx

No comments:

Post a Comment